Saturday, March 5, 2011

62 degrees of separation... OH CANADA!

The trip from Vangvieng to Vientiane was absolutely the most interesting and at times terrifying bus ride, or rally race, we have ever had... We had passengers screaming at the driver for his kamikaze style of driving; the upside was no one got hurt and we arrived early.... Well done Mr Kamikaze! 

A lot of people intended to lodge a formal complaint... little did they know that the department of complaints is closed for permanent renovations.


What a terrific time we had last night and today, we have been visiting what seems like everything here in Vientiane. It is a such a beautiful city. I have been told that they have done a lot of work over the past 5 years to fix a lot of it up by putting in parks and taking care of their heritage buildings and archaeological sites... and you can see it.

We went out for a lovely dinner last night and we had some pan fried squid in wine sauce but not half as good as my nephew and sister in law make. But the Italian/Thai fusion dinner that I ordered was excellent, (Ce thought I was ordering regular pasta) I am ok today even though it was very spicy for me... when they say spicy here they mean burning hot halfway through the meal.

There is a lot of new construction here so some investment dollars are flowing in.

I know there will be no sympathy for this next piece, (specifically from our friends and family in Canada, whom have been experiencing bitter cold and snow over the last little while... OH CANADA!).... It has been boiling hot here; we've been walking around since 9 a.m. this morning and it reached 42 degrees at 2 p.m. with 85% humidity so at about 4 p.m. we just had to return to our hotel to get out of the heat after walking approx. 10 klm's... but we did happen to encounter a wine store on our way back where we purchased a nice bottle of white to enjoy in our hotel room.

Tomorrow we head on the next leg of our journey to Thakhaek and then on to Savannakhet Laos.

In an hour we are going to head out to dinner since it is starting to cool down a little... 




I needed to bring Ce out to spoil her

Enjoying a lovely night together

How beautiful it is... the photo does not do it justice

How do they come up with these designs!

This one is for Jan and Larry.
Look Ce is wearing a hat!

I think the background suits me

A smorg of structures

Ce is really trying to convert me

It refused to bite Ce, but it was
growling at me

At this point we were baking in 42 degree heat

What a feat of engineering



A terrific statue of Buddha 
Ce's new pet... I think she's getting
attached to everything

Our feet are wrecked, we walked about 10 klm's today in the
searing heat

What a window!

Truly a joy to see

Free exercise equipment in the
park, I just couldn't resist

The dragon pool, with me nervously close

Ce at the Chao Anouvong Monument 
Can you see it? The dragons don't just like Ce... They LOVE HER

A spectacular wall

To market we go

Loving every minute of it

Ce sampling the incense

Ce insisted on this photo

Relaxing in a tuk-tuk in the midday heat

We seen this square lit up the night before from the restaurant,
it looks just as good during the day 
Ce is seriously thinking of joining the women's Monk-hood
and I promised to visit her every time I am in Laos

5 comments:

  1. Sending mega sympathy your way. I could not handle 42 degrees, at least with the cold you can add layers. Do the hotels/ lodging generally have air?Way to go Ce with the chapeau and was that a new shirt you were donning?Tres chic.
    Oh by the way like Ainsley I'm living vicariously through your travels. Larry thinks I'm obsessing because I'm even putting pins in the map re the local. Oh well cest la vie. Bienvenue Love J& L

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jan: I'd much rather have it this cold than that hot (and am sure you both might not disagree at this point). Luckily your photos were not only beautiful but also managed to suddenly make me feel quite warm, so there's a happy medium and not a bad cold weather reverse psychology scheme. I can't imagine how your feet must feel, but I suppose a lovely dinner out and a nice bottle of wine is the best kind of salve :-D. If the heat persists look at pictures of glaciers or Antarctica or watch an Everest documentary or /something/!

    I am also a fan of all these dragons. Do they come house-trained and is fiery breath optional? Are there very large ones that Buddha rode on? Either way, I'm
    sure Mammy would have any of them sorted out in no time.

    Great to see you having such a wonderful time, though I fear that all of your terrifying bus rides may have forever destroyed the thrill of roller coasters for you;
    nothing could emulate that type of scary!

    Love you!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi you two. We're back from Oahu, Eliz is back to work :(!! and I'm not :)?? TBTG (thx be to god).
    It sounds like you might want to avoid the local transport system, but then again you have no choice!
    These locales look very interesting, and everything looks gorgeous, except maybe the heat!! I couldn't survive in that kind of heat. I'd have heat stroke in no time.
    Hope you continue to have a great and safe?? time. Come back in one piece with the mental acuity to tell us all about it. You might want to avoid the drugs, as they are generally not good for mental functions. I'm not sure about that, I can't remember!

    Look after yourselves! Eliz and Levi

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nenita & Derm......me encantó verlos ...todas las fotos super interesantes ...Uds gozando experimentando las costumbres ...tambien me he jaraneado viendo las fotos con la boa en tu cuello Comadrita jaja!!! tu carita de que te gustó muchisimo y la del elefante !!! demasiado!!!! .. Todo lo que haces para divertirte , conocer y pasarla bomba Y que lindo verlos despues del paseo tomandose un traguito k..rico!!! y tb hay tiempo para los mimos...Excelente Nenita PROVECHO ..K bellos paisajes va a hacer inolvidable este viaje y lo más chevere compartirlo con Tu Esposito!!!! ME GUSTARON LAS PICTURES!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya te vi la pulserita de perlitas !!!!! me gusta !!! nenita pasate unaaaaaa jajaja!!!
    XD

    ReplyDelete